Saturday, September 8, 2007

The 13 Month Club

So, now that I am officially going to have a baby 13 months after my first one, I have been on a subconscious mission to find people who have also had babies 13 months apart, or are children born 13 months apart from their siblings. This so called mission actually helped me to discover that my older sister and brother are 15 months apart, and that my older brother and I are also 15 months apart. My brother was born in October of 1979 and I was born in January of 1981. Obviously that's not a full two years, but when people ask me how many years are between my brother and I- I say 'two years.' Well, no longer my friends. From now on, the answer is giong to be '15 months'. To think- it only took me 26 years to figure the math out on that one! (and I'm asian! that' s not right.) Or, I guess it actually took me this moment in my life to actually care.

When I wasn't sure whether or not I was pregnant or not, I talked to a girlfriend of mine about my fears. She already has one, and is not planning to have any more cause her pregnancy and post-pregnancy were very traumatic experiences. (The doctor didn't take the whole placenta out. Enough said.) Anyway, so I am telling her about my apprehension about having a baby so soon after just having had one, and she tells me that she and her brother are 13 months apart. Really? I was intrigued. She said that her and her brother were very close and always had been, and that her brother had a great sense of humour about being a 'Love Child'.

Love Child. That sounds so much better than 'Accident', which my husband and I will NEVER call our baby. Anyway, for some reason, that made me feel so much better. When my husband and I told his dad and step mom that we were pregnant again, my step-mother-in-law told me that she and her sister are 13 months apart. This was awesome. I knew these people existed, I just didn't think I knew any. When I was in grade school, there were these two kids- Isabelle and Eric. (I can't believe I remember their names!) They were brother and sister, both born in 1981, but they weren't twins and they were both in my class. I had a VERY hard time wrapping this around my young little head. They were 11 months apart. I have to admit that I am VERY glad my babies won't be 11 months apart. That's just too crazy.

Then, for the first time in my twenty-six years of life, I realized that my sister and older brother were fifteen months apart, and that my older brother and I were also fifteen months apart. The math between my sister and brother didn't really come as a surprise to me because my sister was born in 1978 and my brother was born in 1979. But I was born in 1981 and that makes it look like I am two years younger than my brother. I get these mental hurdles that are very hard for me to jump over sometimes. Anyway, that also made me feel so much better about having my babies so close together, because my sister, brother and I get along very well. So with that- Love Child- mama is ready for you!

1 comment:

Kizzy said...

Thank you so much for writing this blog. I just lost my job last Wednesday and I missed my period the weekend before the Independence Day weekend. I didn't want to have my children less than 2 years apart. You know the saying "2 years apart is baby smart." Now after being in denial about it for 3 weeks I have taken a pregnancy test and I am positively gonna have my babies about 15 months apart. My only child now will be 8 months on the 27th.

I am more worried about the snide remarks that people are gonna say than anything. To top if off my sister-in-law just found out she's pregnant. She talks to me more than she talks to my mother or sister and they already joke that we are BFFLs. What will they say if we deliver at the same time.

Anyway keepme in your prayers as I will keep you in mine. Thanks again.