Friday, February 22, 2008

Let Me Stand On Your Pelvis

I don't know how people have more than two kids. A few weeks ago I started having some SERIOUS pains in my pelvis. I thought maybe I had pulled something while lifting Lily, or maybe I had run into a wall pelvis-first and bruised it. I had a doctor's appointment soon after the pain started so I asked about it, and the doctor said it was very common. No, actually she said it's very common in your second pregnancy to have so much pain from your pelvis expanding (cause that's what's going on) and that it just got worse with every pregnancy. In all honesty- how do people have more than two kids!?!?!?...

So, sitting is fine. For the most part. Sitting on the floor with Lily kinda sucks cause I have to pivot and stuff to watch her (cause that monkey does not like to stay still!). So pivoting hurts. Getting up from sitting on the floor hurts. Putting on my pants, socks, shoes, hurts. Changing positions in bed hurts- which really sucks cause I can't lay on one side for too long. Getting out of bed hurts. And just walking also hurts. Not all the time, but sometimes.

Chris has a shirt that he got while in the Marine Corps, and it says "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Chris likes quoting that shirt quite frequently. He didn't do it when I told him about my pelvic pain (which is good for him, cause then he'd be dead/or seriously injured right now), but he also didn't fully understand the pain I was describing to him. So then I told him that it was as if there were a ten, maybe even fifteen pound weight that was just sitting on my pelvic bone. Or maybe hanging from my pelvis. At any rate, I explained to him that this weight felt like it was cracking my pelvic bone ever so slowly. He still didn't get it, so I told him to let me stand on his pelvis for two minutes. While wearing heels. For some reason, he declined the offer.

The funniest thing about this whole pelvis thing (the only funny thing about this pelvis thing) is that the day after I complained about it to Chris, he was at Home Depot with Lily. They were at the check-out counter being served by a woman who is as pregnant as I am. She commented on how cute Lily is, and how she doesn't look a thing like Chris (which is completely untrue). Then she was complaining about how Her pregnancy has been really painful. And Chris, being the sensitive man that he is, told her that I was pregnant and had been having a bunch of pain too. So, without thinking there was anything weird about it, he asked her- "Is it your pelvis that is hurting?" And she simply said "yes." Chris told me about this later, kinda proud with himself for being so astute to pregnant women's pains. But I told him it was bad form to talk about pelvises in public, especially with complete strangers. But talking about it on a blog and saying the word pelvis/pelvic bone fourteen times in four short paragraphs is ok...

No comments: